Solved: Windows 10 not shutting down after dual booting Linux
Sometimes after dual booting Linux, Windows 10 will fail to shutdown. Clicking on shutdown will show the shutdown animation, turn off the screen but the system will still be on just locked. This is an issue caused due to the Fast start-up feature in Windows. It is a feature that allows Windows to boot faster but it messes with the dual boot a lot. Turning off this feature solves this issue.
Here is how you disable the fast start-up feature
- Open the Settings app or press Win + I.
- Go to System -> Power & Sleep.
- In the right hand side, under the related settings you will see a link to "Additional Power Settings". Click on it.
- In the Settings windows that open, click on the setting "Choose what the power buttons do"
- In the following screen, you will find the option to enable/disable fast start-up. Disable the fast start-up and restart Windows.